7th edition of the ITA Tunnelling Awards
The Winners 2021
Since 2015, the international competition "the ITA Tunnelling and Underground Space Awards" seeks and rewards the most ground-breaking innovation and outstanding projects in tunnelling and underground construction. Due to the recent global pandemic which impacted international travels, this edition was held online through a dedicated platform and awarded the best achievements in the industry, through 7 categories.
Through 7 categories, this competition aims to identify the most important ongoing underground works and technologies that help cities change and enable habits and ways of life to evolve in order to build smart and sustainable urban areas.
THE WINNERS OF THE 2021 EDITION:
- Major Project of the Year (over €500M) - Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit (KVMRT) Putrajaya Line Tunnels and Underground Station Works – Malaysia
- Project of the Year (between €50M and €500M) *2 winners*
- South extension of the metro Line 14 in Paris – France
- Large-diameter shield tunnel engineering project in karst strata of sea area – China
- Project of the Year (up to 50M€) including renovation – Relocation of Shatin Sewage Treatment Works into Caverns – China
- Technical Innovation of the Year – Riachuelo Lote 3 – Innovative method for the construction of sea outfall projets – The Risers Concept – Argentina
- Beyond Engineering – Making underground works projects even better – Is shield tunnelling spoil a waste ? A novel solution says no – China
- Innovative and Contributing Underground Spaces – Lefdal Mine Data Center, where scale and flexibility meet resiliency – Norway
- Young Tunneller of the Year – Michael Mains – Canada